Page Rating

Page Rating May Change When New Posts Are Added

Friday, February 29, 2008

Again The Problems With Children's Books

Ok, you have probably read the post by my wife, Porkchop, about the Dr. Seuss story "Green Eggs and Ham" and how it really isn't for children (click on Porkchop to read post). Well after our visit to our friends last weekend, who read a book to their son every night, we have decided to read to our son also. So... one night Porkchop went to read to Buckwheat a book with Mother Goose rhymes. Well one rhyme did not sit well with Porkchop nor did it sit well with me.

Here is the rhyme:

The Owl And The Pussy cat
The owl and the pussy cat went to sea
In a beautiful pea-green boat.
They took some honey, and plenty of money,
Wrapped up in a five-pound note.
The owl looked up to the stars above,
And sang to a small guitar,
"O lovely Pussy! O Pussy, my love
What a beautiful Pussy you are,
You are, you are!
What a beautiful Pussy you are!"

Now with that being said, Porkchop has a really hard time saying a word in that rhyme. I am sure you can figure out what word it is. She was laughing at herself reading it, and had a really difficult time with it. Now either we have our minds in the gutter more than we think, or it was plain inappropriate.

So I will conclude with my original statement. There are problems with some children's books.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have the same problem with that particular rhyme. I also have a problem with a very old copy of The Tortoise and the Hair...something about the Cock (meaning Rooster) starting the race.

I'm glad you guys started reading to Buckwheat. I'm sure it will make a world of difference in his vocabulary.

T-Bone said...

Buckwheat actually asks us to read to him now. Last night he picked a book and brought it to Porkchop to read for him. Then She put him to bed with his sippy and he took two sips out of it and handed it back to her and said he was done with it. Then the little guy went to sleep all by himself with no sippy. Did you guys rub off on him? lol

Anonymous said...

Maybe we did. Let's just hope it's not a phase.

Tracy DeLuca said...

Have you ever heard the song "Hot Pussy" By David Alan Coe? I suggest checking it out. Now THAT is funny.... makes me giggle every time I hear it. Here is a very funny version...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbqJImxzRLs&feature=related

Ok, Where Was I? said...

No, no....that's so bad.

Blog Rating

This is the rating for 2008.